Monday, August 27, 2012

Recipe: chipotle butternut squash soup

I know it's only August and therefore too early for soup season but while I was cleaning this weekend I found a Taste of Home recipe book for soups under microwave and started thumbing through. There were many recipes that caught my eye but only one had a 'must make now' appeal to me.  I love squash and I love chipotle peppers and the two together are a magical combination. The soup didn't end up as sweet and spicy as I thought it would but for a first attempt it wasn't bad. I think the next time I make it I'll have to add another pepper or two.  However, for those who don't like soups quite as spicy as I do, this recipe is probably just about perfect!

What you need:
  • 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash
  • 1 small carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 green onion, sliced
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2 cups vegetable broth, divided
  • 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
  • 1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, cubed
  • 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
  • 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce, chopped
  • 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (11 ounces) Mexicorn, drained
  • 2 cups fresh baby spinach
Directions:

In a large saucepan, saute the squash, carrot, onion and cumin in oil for 10 minutes. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add 1-1/2 cups broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender; cool slightly.

Transfer mixture to a blender; add the tomatoes, cream cheese, basil, chipotle pepper and remaining broth. Cover and process for 1-2 minutes or until smooth.

Return to the saucepan; stir in the beans, corn and spinach. Cook and stir until spinach is wilted and soup is heated through.

I made very few changes to this recipe. I used plain frozen corn because I couldn't find this Mexicorn that the author spoke of. I also didn't add the spinach, not because I don't like spinach but because I completely forgot to buy it. I more than doubled the cumin and threw in some chipotle pepper powder to add a bit more spice to the dish. I think this would be good with a bit of sour cream or plain Greek yogurt served on top (if that's your thing).

1 comment:

  1. Sounds delicious, but too complicated for me. How do you feel about being hired as my personal chef? LoL. It's funny that as I read your recipes right now, I'm watching Julie and Julia - the movie. Ironic, eh?

    ReplyDelete