Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Recipe: ravioli and vegetable soup

I have officially completed two of my three new soup recipes for the week.  While the ravioli vegetable soup is amazing, the chicken and white bean soup was a bust so I won't be sharing that recipe.  I'm really hoping that the chili recipe is good, I'd hate to be 1 for 3 at the end of the week!

When I made the ravioli soup I couldn't believe how quick, easy and delicious it was.  The only change I made was to use tortellini instead of ravioli. It's not that I have a preference for one little stuffed pasta over the other, but the only ravioli they had was 'meat' and I'm always a bit skeptical of the quality of meat that they use in the pasta. At the end of the day use whatever you like best.

You will need:

  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 1 green pepper, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste (optional)
  • 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes, preferably fire-roasted
  • 1 15-ounce can vegetable broth or reduced-sodium chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups hot water
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil or marjoram
  • 1 6- to 9-ounce package fresh or frozen cheese (or meat) ravioli, preferably whole-wheat
  • 2 cups diced zucchini, (about 2 medium)
  • Freshly ground pepper to taste
Heat oil in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add pepper-onion mix, garlic and crushed red pepper (if using) and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add tomatoes, broth, water and basil (or marjoram); bring to a rolling boil over high heat. Add ravioli and cook for 3 minutes less than the package directions. Add zucchini; return to a boil. Cook until the zucchini is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Season with pepper.

Normally but the 5th time I'm eating something I just want it to be gone because I'm sick of it.  I was really sad to finish this soup at lunch today, it was just that good. I can't wait to make this again.

3 comments:

  1. I am very intrigued by the inclusion of ravioli or some sort of stuffed pasta in a soup. I have the same feeling about meat in ravioli and stuffed pastas. I remember getting a can of meet ravioli years ago and being complete grossed out by the supposed "meat" in the middle. I swear it was kangaroo or something. Serves me right for eating ravioli from a can. I prefer mushroom in my ravioli so I may try that instead since I regularly buy the Hy-Vee brand of ravioli (frozen).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a fan of ravoli or tortellini. Sorry. There's quite a bit of Italian food that doesn't float my boat. Glad you enjoyed it though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LeAnn, you must have a very limited grocery list...you have a very selective palate :)

    Jenny, I think mushroom ravioli would be great in this soup.

    ReplyDelete