Sunday, March 25, 2012

Recipe: lime bars

Don't worry, they're not as scary as they sound.  One of my colleagues has a birthday this weekend and we celebrated Friday at work.  We ordered lunch in and I decided I was going to make something sweet.  I needed a good excuse to try my new lime bar recipe, however, because I gave up sweets for Lent I was hesitant to try a new recipe.  If they didn't turn out I didn't want to bring them to work.  I don't know how it happened but I have cultivated a reputation as a good baker and I've been trying very hard to not mess that up.  I debated for a while and finally decided to give them a whirl.  I figured, worst case scenario they turn out bad and I just explain that it was a new recipe that I'd never tried before.

Well, after whipping these bars up, I decided that there was no way that they could be bad.  I brought them into work and they got rave reviews.  And, in the spirit of full disclosure I ate a tiny one and it was amazing.  There I admit it, I cheated on Lent. Although, I'm not Catholic so it's not that bad, right?!?!?  I've decided that these bars are the perfect spring dessert.  They're not too sweet but they're not pucker your lips tart.  They are an amazing green color and are just perfectly refreshing! I told Karla that I was going to make them for Peyton's baptism in April...I can't wait!

For the crust you will need:

1 c. flour
1/4 c. powdered sugar
1 stick butter (unsalted), cold*
1/4 tsp. sea salt*

*I used salted butter so I left the salt out and I think it was perfect

For the filling you will need:
1 1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. flour
4 large eggs
2/3 c. lime juice (about 6 limes if using fresh)
green food coloring (enough to reach desired green color)
2 tsp. zest (optional if you want it more tart)

powdered sugar for dusting

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

To make the crust, combine the powdered sugar, flour and sea salt in a large bowl. Cut in the cold butter and work with your fingers until the mixture resembles cornmeal. Press into a greased nine inch pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until golden.

To make the filling, whisk together the granulated sugar and flour in a bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, whisking well after each addition. Add the zest, lime juice and enough green food coloring to produce desired green color and mix until everything is smooth and combined.

Pour filling over hot crust and return to oven to bake for another twenty minutes. When done, the filling will no longer jiggle. Let cool completely in the pan before slicing and dusting with powdered sugar.

I got 25 bars out of my 9x9 pan and they came to about 117 calories each. Not too bad!  I also should mention that I didn't add the zest because I didn't use fresh limes.  I cheated and bought the bottled lime juice to save my hands the burning from having to squeeze citrus fruit. If you want a really tart dessert, and some people do, you could definitely add it.

These bars were amazing and so very easy to make.  There really isn't any way that you could mess them up so if you need a quick, easy and delicious dessert I say give them a try!

1 comment:

  1. Those look and sound delicious. I love lemon bars so I could see myself enjoying these too. Thanks for sharing the recipe. It's a treat I may make for a church potluck.

    ReplyDelete