Monday, March 12, 2012

Shamrocks and Shenanigan Success

My first race has come and gone and it was a success! My only goal going into the event was that I didn't want to walk. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to accomplish  that goal, especially as we approached the top of a half mile incline but Julie was there reassuring me the whole time. Some of my speeds were quite slow but I managed to jog the whole 3.11 miles!!  I have to say that I'm really proud of myself.  There were a few points that I really wanted to just walk, if only for a short time, but I managed to push through the feelings of death and keep my feet going.  In all honesty, without Julie there I probably would have walked at one point.  It was really nice having someone around to keep me accountable. In the end I managed to finish in 39:40.7.  It might not be fast but it's mine!!

Anyway, the first group 5K of the pediatric EKG lab was a great success. Sadly Jill was really sick and couldn't make it but we stuck her bib under Corey's and she got a time, even though she wasn't there.  I think the next run we're going to do is the Dexter-Ann Arbor run in early June. Corey is planning to run the half marathon but the rest of us will do the 5K. I really excited to start training so I can improve my time!

Apparently I'm all about pictures lately so here is the group shot after the race. One of our fellows found us before the race and then he waited at the finish line to cheer us on as we finished.  He's one of our favorites!!

p.s. if you buy new running tights make sure you try them out before the race.  I spent the first 10 minutes of the race holding my pants on so I didn't flash the poor kid behind me...


1 comment:

  1. Yay! That's great. You are doing an awesome job. This time next year, you'll be running a half-marathon. I'm glad there are pictures, and you should be too. It's beneficial to document your weight loss/adventures! I think you'll want to remember the obstacles and accomplishments. :)

    ReplyDelete